Saturday, August 9, 2014

Kazuo Ishiguro - An Artist of the Floating World

I really should have gotten these Cosmopolitan books out of the way first. They're starting to fade a bit in my memory! This novel follows Japanese artist Masuji Ono and takes place post-WWII. He reminisces about his youth and the idyllic "floating world", described as the "nocturnal realm of pleasure, entertainment, and drink", and about his part in the war.

Ono became a propaganda artist during WWII and ultimately and adviser to the Committee of Unpatriotic Activities, which is exactly what you think it is. He lost contact with all of his old teachers and pupils, most of whom did not approve of or agree with his decision to become more politically involved with the war. At the crux of the novel, it is revealed that Ono inadvertently caused his favorite student to be arrested for being "unpatriotic" and held in a sort of internment camp for the duration of the war.

His attitude toward his own actions changes drastically throughout the novel. In the beginning he is unashamed of his behavior during the war, even when his association with the Committee of Unpatriotic Activities (and by extension the government that is perceived by Japanese citizens to be the cause of the dropping of the atomic bombs) even when this negatively affects his younger daughter's chance at a marriage. However, by the end, he admits that he did make some mistakes and that he does bear some responsibility for the outcome of the war. In fact, his daughters become concerned that he will commit suicide to restore honor to his family and atone for his mistakes during the war like several other key government figures did during the novel.

The novel is full of beautiful imagery and I really enjoyed it. There was quite a bit of time jumping as Ono was constantly drifting back into the past. I would definitely be interested in reading some of Ishiguro's other novels, especially if they are as well-written as this one.

1 comment:

  1. Ishiguro is a very hit-or-miss author for me. The first book I tried by him (The Unconsoled) was one of the strangest I've ever read, and I just didn't get it. It might have been because I was only 22 or so at the time, and it's the sort of book I imagine would make more sense with discussion and maybe even a classroom! Then back in 2009 or 2010, I read Never Let Me Go, which I thought was okay at first, nothing special. Within six months, though, I couldn't stop thinking about it, and it became a favorite. Oddly (and sadly) the book did eventually leave my thoughts after seeing the movie version. While I enjoyed the movie, I wish I hadn't watched it solely for that reason. Some books are just meant to dwell on over time!

    ReplyDelete